Historic Shipping - facts, pictures, presentations on ships from yesteryear; Robert Wigram, Family and Associates - Shipbuilders and Ship Owners Money Wigram & Company - Shipbuilders and Ship Owners The Plymouth Emigration Depot Plymouth Hulks - the forgotten ships around Plymouth Sound, The General Screw Steam Shipping Co. Ltd. The African Steam Ship Company


Built by:C. J. Mare & Co. of Blackwall
Yard No.
Launched:July 1852
Tonnage:1,664 93/94
Length:244 5/10 feet
Breadth:38 1/10 feet
Depth:25 4/10 feet
Machinery:300h.p. by Maudslay, Sons & Field. 10 . 5 knots.
Built of:Iron.
Type:Auxiliary Screw, barque type with three masts
Registered:No.350 on 1st October 1852 in London.
Reg. transferred to Glasgow 25th October 1855.
Other info:Certificate granted 29th September 1852.
Official No. 7887.
History:10th October 1852. Due to sail from East India Docks for Plymouth. Captain John Vine Hall.
15th October 1852. Sailed from Plymouth, Captain J. V. Hall, for Cape of Good Hope and Calcutta, with gold and silver specie £100,000, a full cargo, and seventy-seven passengers.
26th October 1852. Arrived at St.Vincent.
29th October 1852. Sailed from St.Vincent.
8th November 1852. Arrived and sailed from Ascension.
17th November 1852. Two boys were ill with fever, and one died at noon. Both boys were believed to have contracted the illness after missing the boat at St. Vincent’s and slept ashore for one night.
23rd November 1852. Arrived at the Cape of Good Hope.
27th November 1852. Sailed from the Cape of Good Hope.
11th December 1852. Arrived at Mauritius, after passing through a hurricane.
.12th November 1852. The crew examined the engines and found the screw had feathered itself, and could not get the clutch in its place again.
13th December 1852. The crew fabricated a new collar for the clutch gear that had worn so much as to be inoperable.
17th December 1852. Sailed from Mauritius.
20th December 1852. Encountered hurricane lat 51•51S, Long 55•15E.
25th December 1852. Daughter born to Reverend and Mrs Murphy.
29th December 1852. Arrived at Ceylon.
30th December 1852. Sailed from Ceylon.
2nd January 1853. Arrived at Madras. Coaled.
3rd January 1853. Water had been found accumulating in the engine room. Pumps were used to extract the water. The leak may have been a result of damage incurred by the severe gale encountered on 20th Dec.
5th January 1853. Sailed from Madras.
10th January 1853. Arrived at Calcutta. Coaled.
20th January 1853. Sailed from Calcutta.
24th January 1853. Arrived at Madras.
25th January 1853. Sailed from Madras.
29th January 1853. Arrived and sailed from Ceylon.
8th February 1853. Arrived at Mauritius.
9th February 1853. Sailed from Mauritius.
19th February 1853. Arrived at the Cape of Good Hope. She steamed the greatest portion of the voyage, and very high testimony has been borne to her qualities both as a steamer and a sailing vessel. She is the first steamer that has encountered a hurricane near Mauritius, and though slightly detained she nobly successfully rode through it.
24th February 1853. Sailed from the Cape of Good Hope.
4th March 1853. Arrived and sailed from St.Helena.
7th March 1853. Arrived and sailed from Ascension just as the ‘Queen of the South’ was leaving.
15th March 1853. Arrived at St.Vincent.
17th March 1853. Sailed from St.Vincent.
26th March 1853. Due to arrive at Plymouth.
29th March 1853. Arrived at Plymouth.
30th March 1853. Anchoring in Southampton at 3•20pm.
14th April 1853. Was taken into the graving dock at Southampton.
13th May 1853. Due to sail from Southampton for Calcutta. Captain Jeffrey Sceales.
14th May 1853. Sailed from Southampton, Captain Jeffrey Sceales, for the Cape of Good Hope, and Calcutta and Mauritius. She had 75 passengers, 20,000/- in specie, and a large amount of cargo.
16th May 1853. Sailed from Plymouth for the Cape of Good Hope.
25th May 1853. Arrived at St.Vincent.
29th May 1853. Sailed from St. Vincent.
5th June 1853. Sailed from Ascension.
23rd June 1853. Arrived at Cape Town.
26th June 1853. Sailed from the Cape of Good Hope.
8th July 1853. Arrived at Mauritius. Detained for three days due to a severe gale.
11th July 1853. Sailed from Mauritius.
22nd July 1853. Sailed from Ceylon.
26th July 1853. Sailed from Madras.
31st July 1853. Arrived at Calcutta.
15th August 1853. Sailed from Calcutta with a cargo comprised of 142 cases of silk piece goods, 150 bales of rawsilk, 962 bags of rice, 15 barrels of indigo, 64 chests of lacquer dye, 68 tasks and one case of ivory, 10 rhinoceros horns, and sundry other packages containing merchandise of various descriptions.
20th August 1853. Sailed from Madras.
23rd August 1853. Arrived at Ceylon.
24th August 1853. Sailed from Galle, Ceylon. (Extract from ships log – “Weighed and steamed out of that most dangerous and diabolical of all apologies for a harbour.”)
4th September 1853. Arrived at Mauritius.
5th September 1853. Sailed from Mauritius.
17th September 1853. Arrived at Cape Town.
18th September 1853. Captain Sceales gave the crew a days holiday, due to being worn-out from bad weather.
23rd September 1853. Sailed from the Cape of Good Hope.
30th September 1853. Arrived and sailed from St.Helena.
4th October 1853. Sailed from Ascension.
12th October 1853. Arrived, coaled with 225 tons, and sailed from St.Vincent.
25th October 1853. Arrived at Plymouth.
26th October 1853. Arrived at Southampton.
14th December 1853. Sailed from Southampton to Calcutta, Captain John Goodall, with about eighty to ninety passengers. The cargo consisted of general merchandise, and specie value £40,000 sterling, of which £28,ooo is in gold for Mauritius, £5,000 in silver for Ceylon, and £7,000 in gold for Madras.
27th December 1853. Arrived at St. Vincent.
6th January 1854. Sailed from Ascension.
20th January 1854. Arrived at the Cape of Good Hope from Plymouth.
23rd January 1854. Sailed from the Cape for Calcutta.
30th January 1854. Arrived at Natal.
23rd February 1854. Arrived at Galle.
24th February 1854. Met with the steamer 'Lady Jocelyn' outside Galle.
3rd March 1854. Arrived at Calcutta.
15th April 1854. Sailed from Calcutta for England with 175 passengers. Captain Goodall.
23rd April 1854. Sailed from Madras.
26th April 1854. Sailed from Ceylon.
8th May 1854. Sailed from Mauritius.
24th May 1854. Arrived at Cape Town.
26th May 1854. Sailed from Table Bay.
3rd June 1854. Sailed from St.Helena.
7th June 1854. Sailed from Ascension.
17th June 1854. Experienced heavy weather in gales off Algoa Bay and was compelled to lay to.
19th June 1854. Sailed from St.Vincents.
3rd July 1854. Arrived at Plymouth from India.
4th July 1854. Arrived at Southampton from Plymouth.
26th July 1854. Due to arrive at Southampton from India. Captain Goodall.
4th August 1854. Sailed from Southampton for Port Phillip and Sydney, with 140 passengers. Captain Blackmore. She has been coated on the side with Robinson's patent composition for the preservation of iron ships, and on the other with the composition of Messrs. Peacock & Buchan. The preparation and laying on, for this one, was done by the Lascar crew, and not under the direction of the patentees.
18th August 1854. Arrived at St.Vincent for coal.20th August 1854. Sailed from St.Vincent.
23rd September 1854. At lat.39°S., long 48°E and passed a barque with the loss of foretopmast and jibboom.
23rd October 1854. In Darling Harbour, Sydney.
4th November 1854. Sailed from Sydney.
12th November 1854. Sailed from Melbourne.
November 1854. Due to arrive at Southampton.
28th November 1854. She was in latitude 58•S., longitude 152•W, when icebergs were seen at no great distance, the weather being exceedingly think and foggy.
1st to 10th December 1854. When rounding Cape Horn she encountered upwards of 200 icebergs and the weather was so thick that the ship was often within 200 yards of icebergs, and had to be backed to avoid being crushed.
11th December 1854. Rounded the Cape Horn.
12th January 1855. Arrived at St. Vincent, as did the ‘Natal’.
15th January 1855. Sailed from St.Vincent.
28th January 1855. Arrived at Plymouth.
29th January 1855. Arrived at Southampton with seventy-one passengers and a cargo consisted of specie to the value of £89,789, and 98.845oz of gold, 150 bales of wool, 123 casks of tallow, and seven casks of sperm oil, plus 180 bags and boxes of mail.
3rd February 1855. Being overhauled in Southampton Docks.
24th February 1855. Ordered to be ready for sea to take her station between Constantinople and Balaklava.
26th February 1855. Arrived at Portsmouth.
27th February 1855. To transport the Lancashire Militia to Corfu.
2nd March 1855. Transport ? 195. Captain Blackmore, Shipped the baggage and other accessories of the 1st Royal Lancashire Militia at Portsmouth.
4th March 1855. Sailed from Southampton for Portsmouth. Chartered by the British Government.
23rd July 1855. Arrived at Malta, from Marsailles, having in tow the ‘Elira’
24th July 1855. Both sailed for the Crimea.
18th November 1855. Arrived at Malta from Kertch and Constantinople.
20th November 1855. Sailed from Malta for Spithead.
27th November 1855. Arrived at Gibraltar.
7th December 1855. Arrived at Portsmouth to land her invalids.
8th December 1855. Arrived at Southampton from Portsmouth to prepare immediately for the conveyance of horses to the seat of war.
18th December 1855. Sailed from Southampton for Heligoland, to bring troops back to Folkstone.
3rd January 1856. At a home port has been ordered by the Admiralty to be paid off from the transport service.
3rd January 1856. Sailed from Portsmouth for Southampton.
25th January 1856. Re-chartered by the Government for the transport service.
February 1856. She was involved in a deal with French buyers, the price included stores as well. The Societe Generale des Clippers Francais paid a deposit but when they defaulted on further payments the transaction fell through leaving the ship in the hands of the General Screw Steam Shipping Co.
18th February 1856. The General Screw Company have received an intimation that the Government might require the use of their four large ships now lying in Southampton Docks – the ‘Calcutta’, ‘Argo’, ‘Hydaspes’, and ‘Queen of the South’, for the transport service. The company are acting upon the intimation, and the vessels are being prepared for sea.
1856 Sold.
3rd March 1856. Lying at Southampton engaged in the transport service.
17th April 1856. Sailed for the Crimea. Employed in the conveyance of horses and troops from the Black Sea to England.
27th April 1856. Arrived at Malta with stores for Malta and Constantinople. She had the widow and two children of Colonel Burmester, Royal Engineers, who dropped down dead two days after leaving England from a disease of the heart while on deck, apparently in good health, conversing with his wife.
28th April 1856. Sailed from Malta for Constantinople and Balaklava.
13th May 1856. Another day of sirocco, fiver, lassitude, and disgust. Men take sudden loathings to the Crimea on such days as these, and count the hours eagerly till the time of their departure. How glad they are to hear of every new ship and of every fresh arrival to take them from this parched, arid, and “gamey” plateau. Today they head that the ‘Golden Fleece’, ‘Jason’ and the ‘ Calcutta’ have arrived at Balaklava.
22nd May 1856. Arrived at Malta from Balaklava having in tow the ‘Mary Ann’ sailing transport.
10th July 1856. Arrived at Gibraltar from Balaklava and Constantinople and sailed for Spithead.
1857 Sold to the Anglo-Luso-Brazilian Royal Mail Steam Nav. Co. reg in Portugal and renamed ‘Portugal’. Employed on the Milford Haven (later Liverpool) – Lisbon – South America service.
6th March 1857. Owned by the European and American Steam Shipping Company.
19th May 1857. Arrived at Bahia.
25th July 1857. Arrived at Pernambuco from Southampton.
16th September 1857. Due to arrive at Southampton from Brazil. Captain Blackmore.
1st October 1857. Sailed from Southampton for Cork, where she is to take in the 51st Regiment for conveyance to India.
29th December 1857. Arrived at Bombay with troops.
6th March 1858. Sailed from Cape of Good Hope, Captain Blackmore, with passengers and cargo for England.
1859. Sold to the Anglo-Luso-Brazilian Royal Mail Steam Nav. Co., registered in Portugal and renamed ‘Portugal’. Employed on the Milford Haven – Lisbon – South America service.
1st November 1859. Due to sail from Milford Haven for Lisbon.
26th January 1860. Arrived at Milford Haven after a splendid run of four and a half days from Lisbon. She brings the usual mails, cargo, specie, and passengers.
18th December 1860. Ship taken over by the East India and London Shipping Company and renamed ‘Calcutta’.
25th March 1862. Mr. F. P. Boyes, 4th officer, of 11, Dorset Street, Southampton, and eldest son of the late Faulkner Boyes, Esq., of Hull died of apoplexy, aged 31 while on board. 31st March 1862. An inquest was held at the Bell and Anchor Tavern, North Woolwich Road, on the body of Philip Boyes, aged 32, mate on board the ship lying in the Victoria Docks. Deceased was found dead in bed on the morning of the 25th and from the appearance of the body and the evidence adduced no doubt existed that death arose from natural causes. The Coroner, in summing up, expressed an opinion that death arose from apoplexy.
13th August 1862. Due to sail from Victoria Docks, London. Captain S. H. Wright.
15th August 1862. Due to sail from Gravesend for Madras to land and embark passengers only, coaling at the Cape of Good Hope.
23rd September 1862. Sailed from Table Bay, for Calcutta, after meeting up with the ‘Golden Fleece’ and placing her chief officer, Mr. Stewart, in command of her. Captain Wright.
27th December 1862. Assisting at the wreck of the ‘Jason’ at Madras.
27th February 1864. Owned by the East India and London Steam Shipping Company, and will sail between Plymouth, Cape of Good Hope, Madras, and Calcutta.
8th May 1864. Sailed from London.
9th May 1864. Arrived at Plymouth to pick up provisions, which are as follows – Mr James Ford, of Plymouth, was contracted for the supply of the live stock, consisting of 90 sheep, 25 pigs, and one cow; Mr R. Heard, of Devonport, embarked the dead stock, comprising six bullocks, about five cwt. Of mutton, 150 lbs. Of veal and 70 lbs. Of lamb; Mr Moreton for hay, bran, oats and barley; Mr Butchers, of Devonport, for poultry to the following number:- 30 dozen fowls, 26 dozen ducks, 60 geese, 40 turkeys, and 48 pigeons; Mr R. Heard for vegetables, and Mr Samuel Pearse, of the Royal Hotel, Plymouth, for the supply of seven tons of ice; besides a number of other articles.
12th May 1864. Sailed from Plymouth, Captain S. H. Wright, bound for Madras and Calcutta, with a full general cargo and 43 passengers. This is the first steamship of this line.
1868. Owned by W. Pile, Sunderland. Had machinery removed.
1874. Subsequently resold and machinery removed. Renamed 'Darling Downs', belonging to A. J. Mandella. Later owned by Messrs. Taylor, Bethell & Co., London.
25th July1874. Sailed from London. Captain William Wakeham.
5th November 1874. Arrived at Brisbane.
9th March 1876. Sailed from Sydney for London with a cargo of wool.
24th June 1876. Arrived in London.
1st February 1877. Sailed from Sydney for London with a cargo of wool.
22nd May 1877. Arrived in London.
18th December 1879. Sailed from Sydney for London with a cargo of wool.
2nd April 1880. Arrived in London.
5th December 1800. Sailed from Sydney for London with a cargo of wool.
13th April 1881. Arrived in London.
23rd January 1882. Sailed from Sydney for London with a cargo of wool.
30th April 1882. Arrived in London.
16th January 1886. Sailed from Melbourne for London with a cargo of wool.
11th May 1886. Arrived in London.
12th May 1887. Foundered after a collision near the Nore Lightship. Her owners were Taylor, Sons, & Co.

Back to Home page | Back to The General Screw Steam Shipping Co. Index
Copyright © Historic Shipping 2011.