|Historic Shipping - facts, pictures, presentations on ships from yesteryear; Robert Wigram, Family and Associates - Shipbuilders and Ship Owners Money Wigram & Company - Shipbuilders and Ship Owners The Plymouth Emigration Depot Plymouth Hulks - the forgotten ships around Plymouth Sound, The General Screw Steam Shipping Co. Ltd. The African Steam Ship Company|
|Built by:||Money & H. L. Wigram at Blackwall.|
|Built for:||Colonial Government.|
|History:||23rd June 1848. The steam-tug is expected to be brought down immediately from Deptford to Woolwich, having been commissioned by Mr. Charles Forbes, second-master, for service at Port Philip in South Australia; she was built by Mr. Wigram.|
24th June 1848. Arrived at Woolwich.
24th July 1848. Inspected at Woolwich by Rear Admiral Dundas and Captain Berkeley and Walker.
25th July 1848. Taken out of the basin about two hours before daylight rigged as a three-masted schooner. She is decidedly improved in appearance by what has been done to her, having had the unsightly skeletons of paddle-boxes removed from her bulwarks, and a large portion of her machinery taken out, which is to be carried out in a merchant vessel, the space gained thereby being filled up with water and provisions. The main objections to her, however, still remains; she is too small for so long a voyage and for the purpose intended, and she could have been built, or a better vessel than her, in the country at less than half of what she will cost by the time of her arrival out.
28th July 1848. Sailed for Greenhithe and Plymouth, then sailing for Adelaide, Second-Master Charles R. Forbes. She is built of iron, is less than 100 tons burden, and carries out her machinery, but with no provision for using it. Some curiosity has been felt as to how so small a vessel will behave in a passage of such great length. On her arrival will be employed as a steam-tug.
September 1848. Sailed from Portsmouth after having been caulked and repaired, for Plymouth.
29th September 1848. Towed out of Plymouth harbour by the ‘Echo’ and was afterwards taken in tow by the ‘Dover’ steam vessel which is to convoy her to Madeira. Sir Gordon Bremer, is reported to be on board for the renovation of his health, Lady Bremer accompanying him.
6th October 1848. Arrived at Madeira.
20th October 1848. Sailed from Madeira.
30th October 1848. Sailed from Tenerife.
6th January 1849. Arrived at the Cape of Good Hope for water and provisions.
10th January 1849. Sailed from the Cape of Good Hope.
1st February 1849. Two of the engineers of the harbour steam tug have arrived by the ‘William Money’. The tug itself is hourly expected. These engineers have been engaged for a fixed period at £12 . 12s each per month, with rations; and they rate, we believe, as warrant officers in the navy.
15th February 1849. The ‘Athenian’ spoke in lat 38.13’ and long 30.20’. She is hourly expected, unless she has called at King George’s Sound to enquire the way.
7th March 1849. Arrived at Adelaide after 159 days from Plymouth.
27th Mach 1849. The ‘Emma’ has been ten days on her passage from Adelaide having been detained in the Gulf from contrary winds. The naval officers and seamen who arrived as passengers by her are those who brought out the steam tug ‘Adelaide’.
4th April 1849. Surplus stores of the ‘Adelaide’ steam tug will be sold by auction. – 15 Percussion muskets, bayonets, scabbards, cartridge boxes, sword belts, frogs, pouches for caps; Beam, with three scales and weights; Set of copper lipped measures; 12 sets knives, forks, and spoons; 1 piece blue cloth, 24¾ yards;17 serge shirts; 3 pairs stockings; 1000 lbs. biscuit; 400 lbs. beef; 400 lbs. pork; 10 lbs. flour; 112 lbs. suet; Sugar, cocoa, lemon juice, preserved meats, etc, etc, etc.
6th April 1849. In Adelaide Harbour being fitted out.
21st April 1849. Tenders will be received by the Harbour Master, at Port Adelaide, until noon the 23rd, for the supply of 400 tons of English coals, required for the use of the ‘Adelaide’ Steam-Tug.
23rd April 1849. Made her maiden trip, under steam power under the command of the Harbour-master. The first ship brought up to the wharf was the ‘John Mitchell’, and it was accomplished in very good style. The tug is said to be everything that can be desired in that form, and her first performance has surpassed the most sanguine expectations.
28th April 1849. Tenders will be received by the Harbour Master, at Port Adelaide, until noon of Monday the 30th instant, for plumbers work required for the service of the ‘Adelaide’ Steam Tug.
28th April 1849. This smart little craft towed the ‘Calphurnia’ from the Port to the Light Ship in an hour and twenty-eight minutes. This is very good work, especially when the respective sizes of the vessels are taken into consideration. The steamer remained outside the bar for the night, and came up the next day in an hour and eight minutes.
|Back to Home page | Back to the Money & H. L. Wigram - Shipbuilders & Ship Owners Index|
|Copyright © Historic Shipping 2011.|