|History:||1888. Re-engined and converted to twin-screw. 164•4 x 23•9 x 13•3. 331grt. 147nrt. By Day, Summers & Co. Twin 80hp. Paddle engines were substituted by equally powerful steam reciprocating engines driving twin screws. Coal was stowed in bunkers (60 tons) and in the hold (40 tons). Her complement was a master, two mates, carpenter, cook, steward and two engineers, six fireman and two coal trimmers, nine seamen and three brass bound apprentices.|
December 1903. It was recommended she should be extensively strengthened.
30th January 1909. A collision occured between the S.S.'Dundee' and a sailing barge. The latter immediately sank close west of the Cockle lightvessel. Her crew were all drowned. The following day 'Argus', Captain Emerson, arrived to remove the barge's mast and clear the wreck to a safe depth. The weather was fresh and unsuitable for divers so Emerson decided to sweep in explosives from a boat. He despatched Mr. Bound, Chief Officer, with five seamen and a seaman diver. Bound swept in two small charges with no effect but at the third a terrific explosion flung the boat upwards as high as the Cockle's lantern, shaking the lightvessel and 'Argus'. As the water subsided Emerson and Moss, his 2nd Officer, anxiously searched the area. The boat capsized and only Bound survived. When the wreckage surfaced it was discovered that the barge was the ketch 'Good Hope', which at Faversham had loaded a cargo of 40 tons of gelignite.
September 1910. Registry closed 'To be broken up'.