Historic Shipping - facts, pictures, presentations on ships from yesteryear; Robert Wigram, Family and Associates - Shipbuilders and Ship Owners Money Wigram & Company - Shipbuilders and Ship Owners The Plymouth Emigration Depot Plymouth Hulks - the forgotten ships around Plymouth Sound, The General Screw Steam Shipping Co. Ltd. The African Steam Ship Company


Built by:Money Wigram & Son's, at Blackwall.
Yard No.
Launched:16th May 1874 by Miss Gertrude Wigram.
Tonnage:2,284 grt - 1,879 nrt
Length:286 . 2
Breadth:39 . 1
Depth:26 . 9
Machinery:Comp. inv. 36 x 80 x 48 Humphrys & Tannant. Boilers 80 psi. 300 hp. 9 knots.
Built of:Iron framed.
Type:Auxiliary screw steamer, Barque style.
Registered:London 1874 - Liverpool 1884 (sail only)
Off Number:70590
Built for:Money Wigram & Son's.
Other info:Cost £35,000
Passengers 361 = 83 first, 278 second & thrid.
History:20th January 1875. Sailed from London for Melbourne, Captain Frederick Anderson.
25th January 1875. Arrived in Plymouth Sound. On her way down Channel she experienced exceedingly heavy weather, the wind being dead against her, with a high sea running, insomuch that she was obliged to put into the Downs on the way round. She has not, however escaped without damage. Along the sides of her bulwark's she carries pens filled with poultry. Some of them have been washed away and two of her boats were washed from the davits on to the deck. The one from the forecastle struck the deck with her iron keel with such force as to go through. Six of the crew have refused to proceed to sea in her and will be brought up at the Stonehouse Police court.
28th January 1875. Sailed from Plymouth.
19th March 1875. Arrived at Melbourne, after 49 days and a few hours.
14th April 1875. Sailed for London.
10th June 1875. Past Plymouth, transferred 17 passengers into No 5 pilot cutter, on way up Channel for London.
24th July 1875. Sailed from London for Melbourne, Captain Frederick Anderson.
25th July 1875. Sailed from Plymouth with 75 cabin and 200 second and third-class passengers in addition to a mail and a full general cargo, for Melbourne. She accomplished the last voyage out remarkably quick, and as a consequence a large number of passengers have come forward, insomuch that many have had to be refused.
10th September 1875. Arrived at Melbourne after 48 days.
13th October 1875. Sailed for London.
9th December 1875. Arrived off Plymouth after 57 days sailing from Melbourne, she transferred to No. 8 pilot cutter, the ‘Zedora’, Mr. Tucker, 7 passengers, plus the mails, and proceeded on her voyage to London.
15th January 1876. Sailed from London for Melbourne, Captain Frederick Anderson.
24th January 1876. Arrived at Plymouth to pick up a few passengers.
25th January 1876. Sailed from Plymouth with 65 cabin and 157 second class passengers, for Melbourne.
9th February 1876. Arrived and sailed from Ascension Island bound for Melbourne.
18th March 1876. Arrived at Melbourne.
16th June 1876. Arrived off Falmouth and transferred eight passengers to a pilot cutter, which landed them at Falmouth. She had put into Lisbon to obtain a supply of coal.
17th June 1876. Arrived off Plymouth and transferred seven passengers, and a small mail, to the ‘Zedora’, No. 8 pilot cutter, belonging to Mr. William Tucker, from Melbourne.
31st July 1876. Sailed from London for Melbourne, Captain Frederick Anderson.
1st August 1976. Arrived and sailed from Plymouth. She carries the largest freight of any vessel ever leaving London for Melbourne. A number of large packages of cargo sent to Plymouth for shipment were unable to be shipped. She has 303 passengers onboard.
22nd September 1876. Arrived at Melbourne.
18th October 1876. Sailed for London.
20th December 1876. Arrived in London.
1st February 1877. Sailed from London for Adelaide, Captain Frederick Anderson.
3rd February 1877. Arrived at Plymouth, whilist in the Downs she lost one of her anchors and will be delayed a few days awaiting the arrival of a new one from London.
5th February 1877. Sailed from Plymouth for Melbourne with 83 first and 278 second and third class passengers, mails, and a full general cargo.
12th March 1877. Arrived at Adelaide.
29th March 1877. Arrived at Melbourne.
22nd April 1877. Sailed for London from Melbourne.
18th August 1877. Sailed from Plymouth for Melbourne, Captain Frederick Anderson. She has a full complement of passengers and cargo. 42 embarked at Plymouth.
11th October 1877. Arrived at Melbourne.
12th February 1878. Arrived at Plymouth to embark passengers for Melbourne. She is full of cargo, and has only berths remaining vacant for two or three in first-class saloon, the whole of the remainder of the passenger accommodation being taken up.
16th February 1878. Sailed from Plymouth for Melbourne, Captain Frederick Anderson.
11th April 1878. Arrived at Melbourne.
19th June 1878. Passed Malta for London from Melbourne.
8th August 1878. Sailed from Plymouth for Melbourne and Sydney, Captain Frederick Anderson taking about 300 passengers.
21st January 1879. Sailed from Gravesend for Melbourne and Sydney, Captain Frederick Anderson.
22nd January 1879. Arrived at Plymouth and embarked 10 cabin and 37 steerage passengers. She takes out in all 51 cabin passengers, equal to 43 statute adults, and 197 second and third class equal to 186½ statute adults.
27th January 1879. Passed Madeira bound for Melbourne.
21st March 1879. Arrived at Melbourne.
26th July 1879. Sailed from London.
27th July 1879. Detained in the channel in consequence of fog.
28th July 1879. Arrived and at Plymouth having been detained in the Channel due to fog, she embarked 55 passengers and a small mail. Sailed the same day for Melbourne and Sydney, Captain Frederick Anderson.
24th July 1879. Struck by a terrific squall which the fore and main top-gallant masts were carried away. John Berry, one of the quartermasters went missing. Although a search was made for him, he was never seen again. He went forward to clear away wreckage from the forecastle and must have fell overboard.
2nd August 1879. Mr. T. Cosgrave, a steerage passenger, walked to the forward part of the vessel and threw himself overboard whilst labouring under cerebral excitement. Prompt effort was made for his rescue, but when the body was recovered life was quite extinct.
19th September 1879. Arrived in the Bay at Melbourne.
20th September 1879. Arrived at Sandridge railway pier.
23rd September 1879. John McCabe was sentenced to fourteen days’ hard labour for being absent without leave.
25th September 1879. The ‘Woonona’, with a cargo of Bulli coal, arrived in the bay and went alongside the ‘Durham’ to discharge the coal for the homeward trip.
26th October 1879. Sailed from Melbourne for London.
19th December 1879. Passed Plymouth going up Channel for London from Sydney and Melbourne. She landed at Plymouth 14 sacks of mails and two passengers by No. 9 pilot cutter.
23rd January 1880. Sailed from London for Melbourne and Sydney, Captain Frederick Anderson.
26th January 1880. Sailed from Plymouth after embarking 40 passengers and 10 bags of mail.
18th March 1880. Arrived at Melbourne.
29th May 1880. Arrived at Aden bound for London from Sydney.
18th June 1880. Passed Gibraltar for London.
23rd June 1880. Passed Gravesend for the Docks.
18th September 1880. Passed Gravesend for New Zealand, Captain Frederick Anderson. Chartered by S.S. & A. Ltd.
20th September 1880. Arrived and sailed from Plymouth. She takes out in all 68 passengers and a small Mail.
30th September 1880. Arrived at St. Vincent.
1st October 1880. Sailed from St. Vincent after coaling.
2nd October 1880. Mrs. Dorothea Maker died from heart disease.
18th November 1880. Arrived at Lyttelton.
30th January 1881. Sailed from St. Vincent.
11th February 1881. Passed Gravesend for the Docks.
April 1881. Advertised to leave London for New Zealand on April 20, has been withdrawn from the contemplated voyage in consequence of the insufficiency of cargo and passengers offering.
1st July 1881. Sold to Money Wigram & Son's Ltd.
4th August 1881. At lat 48N, long 12W.
6th August 1881. Passed through the Downs from Montevideo for Antwerp.
October 1881. Chartered by British & India Steamship Company.
27th October 1881. Sailed from Plymouth for Queensland, Captain G.R.Huddy. She embarked emigrants for Queensland, there being 44 married couples, 121 single men, 84 single women, 29 boys, and 24 girls under twelve, and 10 infants, a total of 356 – equal to 319½ statute adults, of this number there were 209 English, 14 Scotch, 121 Irish, and 12 foreigners.
25th November 1881. Arrived at Colombo from London.
17th December 1881. Arrived at Brisbane.
3rd January 1882. Sailed from Moreton Bay.
4th January 1882. Arrived at Keppel Bay.
5th January 1882. Sailed from Keppel Bay.
6th January 1882. Arrived at Makay, and sailed.
7th January 1882. Arrived at Bowen, sailed, and arrived at Townsville.
8th January 1882. Sailed from Townsville.
9th January 1882. Arrived at Cooktown, and sailed. Passenger Joel Hinchcliffe fell down the main hatch and died.
10th January 1882. A funeral ceremony was performed on Piper’s Island for Joel Hinchcliffe.
11th January 1882. Arrived at Thursday Island and sailed for Batavia.
11th March 1882. Arrived at Port Said.
26th March 1882. Went ashore at Pansand on the Kentish coast.
29th March 1882. Safely floated off.
7th May 1882. Sailed from South West India Dock, London, Captain G. R. Huddy, for Adelaide, Melbourne, and Sydney with passengers – Mr. and Mrs. Phillips, Dr. Wades, Mr. Kearney, Mr. Cooke, Mr. Morse, Mr. Barchett, Miss Turner, Miss Christie, Mrs. Browing, Mr. Buchanan, Mrs. Thomson, Mr. Henderson, Mr. Macdonald, Mr. Carr, and Mr. and Mrs. Waite.
8th May 1882. Passed St. Catherine’s Point. A seaman fell overboard while off St Albans. It appears the man was engaged over the vessel’s side, and fell. The steamer was at once stopped and a boat lowered, but could not be seen after an hours search, so was given up as lost.
19th May 1882. Arrived at St. Vincent for coal.
21st May 1882. Sailed from St. Vincent.
9th June 1882. Arrived at Cape Town, coaled.
11th June 1882. Sailed from Cape Town.
4th July 1882. Arrived at Adelaide.
5th July 1882. Sailed from Adelaide for Melbourne.
7th July 1882. Become disabled through the breaking of a cog-wheel.
8th July 1882. Arrived at Portland Bay under sail.
10th July 1882. Sailed from Portland Bay.
12th July 1882. Arrived at Melbourne to be repaired.
8th August 1882. John Allen, aged 37 years, living at Dorcas Street, Sandridge, suffering from injury to back and scalp wound. While engaged screwing a bolt in the engine-room , the bolt broke, and he over-balanced himself and fell down between the platform and engine, a distance of 15ft.
22nd August 1882. Arrived at Sydney.
14th September 1882. Sailed for Hong Kong.
8th October 1882. Arrived at Hong Kong.
21st November 1882. Arrived at Gravesend.
July 1883. Sold to Sailing Ship "Durham" Co (mrg J. Herron & Co) Liverpool.
24th June 1903. Distroyed by fire at Buenos Ayres. Sold as wreck.
September 1903. Sold to A. Glasson, Buenos Ayres.
Later renamed 'LA ARGENTINA' by 1909.
Later renamed 'MARAKECH'.
By 1923, renamed 'COMMONDANT POSTH'.

Back to Home page | Back to the Money Wigram & Son's - Shipbuilders & Ship Owners Index
Copyright © Historic Shipping 2011.