Historic Shipping - facts, pictures, presentations on ships from yesteryear; Robert Wigram, Family and Associates - Shipbuilders and Ship Owners Money Wigram & Company - Shipbuilders and Ship Owners The Plymouth Emigration Depot Plymouth Hulks - the forgotten ships around Plymouth Sound, The General Screw Steam Shipping Co. Ltd. The African Steam Ship Company


Built by:Money Wigram & Son's, at Blackwall.
Yard No.
Launched:January 1857
Tonnage:820 93/94
Length:196 6/10 feet.
Breadth:32 6/10 feet.
Depth:20 8/10 feet.
Decks:Five with 3 masts.
Built of:Teak, oak, and elm; copper-fastened and sheathed with red copper.
Type:Carval Rig.
Registered:London, 27th January 1857
Off Number:11920
Built for:Money Wigram & Son's.
Other info:Crew = 59. Passengers = 77
History:22nd March 1857. Sailed from Plymouth, Captain George Coleman, for Melbourne.
13th April 1857. Crossed the Equator.
4th May 1857. Crossed the meridian of the Cape of Good Hope.
29th May 1857. Towed to her berth at Melbourne by the ‘Sophia’.
4th July 1857. Sailed from Melbourne for London.
28th November 1857. Sailed from Gravesend, Captain E. A. Reynell, for Melbourne.
29th November 1857. Passed through the Downs.
1st December 1857. Arrived at Plymouth.
2nd December 1857. Sailed from Plymouth for Melbourne.
27th December 1857. Crossed the Equator.
17th January 1858. Crossed the meridian of the Cape of Good Hope.
7th February 1858. Arrived at Port Phillip Heads and received her pilot, but due to contrary winds she was unable to enter the Heads.
9th February 1858. Arrived at Melbourne. Towed in by the steam tug ‘Lioness’.
31st March 1858. Sailed from Melbourne for London.
28th November 1858. Towed out to sea.
1st May 1859. Put back to London with damage.
8th May 1859. Sailed from London for Melbourne.
21st September 1859. Sailed from Melbourne, Captain Charleton, for London.
23rd February 1860. Passed through the Downs. Captain J. S. Atwood. Called in at Plymouth.
25th February 1860. Off Start Point.
26th April 1860. Passed the meridian of the Cape of Good Hope.
19th May 1860. Arrived at Melbourne.
25th July 1860. Sailed for London.
28th November 1860. Sailed from Plymouth. Captain J. S. Atwood.
27th September 1860. Arrived at Dartmouth from Melbourne.
11th December 1860. Passed Madeira.
22nd December 1860. Crossed the equator.
14th January 1861. Crossed the meridian of the Cape of Good Hope.
10th February 1861. Arrived at Melbourne from London.
14th April 1861. Sailed from Melbourne for London.
12th May 1861. Rounded Cape Horn. Four large icebergs were encountered, and the passengers state that the ship was twice in great danger. The largest berg was seen in 125 W.; it was about 350 feet high.
11th June 1861. Crossed the line.
14th July 1861. Arrived at Plymouth from Melbourne. Eight deaths occurred on the passage – William Collith, chief cabin passenger; and three men, one woman, and three children, second and third cabin passengers.
1862. Sold to Charles, Clifford and Robert Wigram.
23rd July 1862. Sailed from Gravesend for Plymouth.
28th July 1862. Arrived at Plymouth from London and after embarking passengers for Melbourne, sailed the same day. Captain Bryant Tonkin.
15th August 1862. Passed Madeira.
24th August 1862. Crossed the Equator.
24th September 1862. Within sight of Tristan da Cunha.
19th October 1862. Arrived at Melbourne. No deaths have occurred on the passage.
10th December 1862. Sailed from Melbourne for London.
5th March 1863. Passed Plymouth for London with a cargo of wool, about 100 passengers, and only 22 ounces of gold.
28th May 1863. Sailed from Plymouth.
20th June 1863. Crossed the equator.
13th July 1863. Crossed the meridian of the Cape of Good Hope.
8th August 1863. Arrived at Melbourne.
27th September 1863. Sailed from Melbourne for London.
22nd October 1863. Rounded Cape Horn. Saw very little ice.
17th November 1863. Crossed the line.
15th December 1863. Arrived off Dover with 150 passengers, 60,000 ounces of gold, 630 bales of wool, 146 bales of leather, and a quantity of antimony, silver ore, copper, etc. Two deaths and one birth occurred on the voyage.
21st January 1864. Sailed from London conveying to Melbourne ova of the salmon and the sea-trout to be placed in the ponds of the Plenty. Captain Tonkin.
29th January 1864. Sailed from Plymouth.
20th February 1864. Crossed the Equator.
20th March 1864. Crossed the meridian of the Cape of Good Hope.
15th April 1864. Arrived at Melbourne, the boxes containing the ova were examined. They showed to be in a fine state. The boxes were detained at Melbourne and the remaining 170 boxes were then re-shipped by the H.M.C. ‘Victoria’ for Tasmania.
11th June 1864. Sailed from Port Phillip.
14th July 1864. Rounded Cape Horn. Saw very few icebergs.
8th August 1864. Crossed the Equator.
1st September 1864. Landed 30 passengers at Falmouth.
3rd September 1864. Passed up the Channel for London with 42 cabin and 183 second and third class passengers. Her cargo consists of 7,825oz of gold (valued at £31,300), 600 bales of wool, and a large quantity of copper, lead ore, antimony ore, leather, tallow, skins, etc.
10th December 1864. Sailed from Plymouth. Captain Tonkin.
3rd January 1865. Crossed the Equator.
25th January 1865. Crossed the meridian of the Cape of Good Hope.
19th February 1865. Arrived at Melbourne. Captain Tonkin brought a large trawl-net out from England, and hopes to obtain a loan of the Government schooner ‘Falcon’ for the purpose of trying it in the Bay and outside the Heads in the Straits, if possible.
2nd March 1865. Captain Tonkin sailed out into the bay on the schooner ‘Falcon’ for an interesting experiment with a trawl net which he brought out with him for the purpose of ascertaining whether the Bay did not contain soles, turbot, and other fish.
4th March 1865. Captain Tonkin arrived back being unable to accomplish his objective.
21st March 1865. Towed to sea. She was full of passengers of all classes, and a very valuable cargo. A large number of people assembled on the Hobson’s Bay Railway Pier to witness her departure.
8th June 1865. Arrived at Penzance from Melbourne.
22nd August 1865. Sailed from London. Captain B. Tonkin.
28th August 1865. Sailed from Plymouth.
22nd September 1865. Crossed the Equator.
17th October 1865. Crossed the meridian of Greenwich.
12th November 1865. A birth onboard.
14th November 1865. Arrived at Melbourne from London, with forty-four adults in the first cabin, and ninety- four adults in the second and third cabins, making a total of 160 souls reckoning children. She had one death through delirium tremens.
20th January 1866. Towed out to sea. A very large number of persons assembled on the Railway Pier, to witness her departure, and the cheering of the crowd as she was cast off was unusually demonstrative.
21st January 1866. Sailed from Melbourne.
11th February 1866. Spoke to the ship 'Timoor' from Liverpool.
1st March 1866. Rounded Cape of Good Hope bound for London.
19th March 1866. Crossed the line.
17th April 1866. Passed Plymouth, with a cargo of wool, bark, etc, and 19,000oz of bullion, for London from Melbourne.
21st May 1866. Sailed from London, Captain Bryant Tonkin, for Melbourne.
23rd May 1866. Sailed from Gravesend.
29th May 1866. Sailed from Plymouth.
26th June 1866. Crossed the line.
26th July 1866. Passed the meridian of the Cape of Good Hope.
22nd August 1866. Arrived at Melbourne. A Clydesdale entire horse, in good condition, has been brought out.
17th September 1866. Completed her outward loading and was towed from the Melbourne and Hobson’s Bay Railway Pier. She takes a full complement of passengers, and 28,175oz of gold.
21st January 1867. Sailed from London, Captain Bryant Tonkin, for Melbourne.
23rd January 1867. Sailed from Gravesend.
25th January 1867. Sailed from the Downs.
12th February 1867. Sailed from Plymouth.
9th March 1867. Crossed the Equator.
4th April 1867. Crossed the meridian of the Cape of Good Hope.
2nd May 1867. Arrived at Melbourne.
8th June 1867. Sailed from Melbourne for London.
10th July 1867. Rounded Cape Horn.
2nd August 1867. Crossed the Equator.
28th August 1867. Arrived at Penzance from Melbourne.
28th August 1867. Passed Plymouth, for London with twenty-two cabin and 158 steerage passengers, 55,000oz of gold (valued at £221,000), 100 tons copper ore, 3,000 bags wheat, 450 bales wool, 60 bales leather, and various other packages.
21st October 1867. Sailed from London, Captain Bryant Tonkin, for Melbourne.
28th October 1867. Arrived at Plymouth from London for Melbourne.
1st November 1867. Sailed from Plymouth for Melbourne.
3rd December 1867. Crossed the Line.
21st December 1867. Crossed the meridian of the Cape of Good Hope.
20th January 1868. Arrived at Melbourne. Came up the bay in tow of the ‘Resolute’ and was at once placed in her old berth at the railway pier, Sandridge. The saloon passengers presented the captain with a photographic portrait of himself in colour.
29th February 1868. Sailed for London. A large number of spectators were congregated on the pier to see the good ship leave, and gave three cheers as she moved slowly out into the stream. She did not anchor for the night, but was towed right away to sea by Messrs. Norton and Graham’s steam-tug ‘Sophia’.
20th July 1868. Sailed from London, Captain Bryant Tonkin, for Melbourne.
24th July 1868. Arrived at Plymouth to embark passengers for Melbourne.
20th April 1869. Sailed from London, Captain Bryant Tonkin, for Melbourne.
19th August 1869. Sailed from Melbourne.
12th September 1869. Rounded Cape Horn.
2nd October 1869. Crossed the Equator.
20th October 1869. Passed Ushant.
1st November 1869. Arrived off Dungeness from Melbourne with 150 tons of copper ore, 50 tons antimony, 40 tons tin ore, 150 tons preserved meats, 92 bales leather, 1,130 bales wool, 203 casks tallow, 860 bags rice, and various packages, with about 7,000 ounces gold dust, and 89 passengers.
20th December 1869. Sailed from London, Captain, Bryant Tonkin, for Melbourne.
28th December 1869. Sailed from Plymouth.
25th January 1870. Crossed the Equator.
16th February 1870. Crossed the meridian of the Cape of Good Hope.
27th March 1870. Arrived at Melbourne from London.
21st May 1870. Towed from the pier and anchored in the Bay.
22nd May 1870. Towed from the Bay by the steamer ‘Resolute’ and passed through Port Phillip Heads and sailed for London.
1st November 1870. Sailed from London, Captain John Cumming, for Melbourne.
8th November 1870. Sailed from Plymouth.
9th November 1870. At noon during a heavy gale one of the crew fell overboard. There was a tremendous high sea on at the time, and the weather was thick and rainy, and the ship at the time was going at the rate of 14 knots. Nothing could possibly be done to save the poor fellow.
29th November 1870. Crossed the line.
5th December 1870. Sighted the island of Trinidad.
22nd December 1870. Crossed the meridian of the Cape of Good Hope.
25th December 1870. Spoken by the ship ‘True Briton'.
16th January 1871. Arrived at Melbourne. The passengers of all classes expressed themselves pleased with the ship and her commander, and the opinion of those in the saloon was testified by a very handsome presentation of a cup.
21st February 1871. Having completed her loading for London she was hauled off the pier. She cleared out at Customs with a large and valuable cargo of wool, tallow, Preserved meats, etc., and a fair number of passengers of all classes. Previously to her departure from the pier there was a large assemblage of visitors, friends of passengers and others, and the usual valedictory cheering took place as she moved away from her berth. She was towed away to sea by the steamer ‘Sophia’.
20th July 1871. Sailed from London, Captain John Cumming, for Melbourne.
31st July 1871. Sailed from Plymouth.
26th August 1871. Crossed the line.
1st September 1871. Passed the Martin Vas Rocks.
16th September 1871. Crossed the meridian of the Cape of Good Hope.
12th October 1871. Arrived at Melbourne. On the voyage one of the boys fell overboard, but was speedily rescued.
11th November 1871. Arrived at the Heads and detained by the Health Officer, one case of small-pox having occurred on board, which was convalescent forty days ago.
12th November 1871. Arrived at Melbourne.
30th November 1871. Has completed her loading of 2,774 bales wool, 47 bales leather, 33 bales scrolls, 6 bales baslle, 122 casts tallow, 1,010 cases preserved meats, 2,264 cakes copper, 555 bags antimony, 33 casks black sand, 643 casks 16 tubs 3 kegs butter, 21 packages luggage and effects, 8 packages wine, 2 casks beeswax, 11 packages drugs, 3 casts glue, 6 cases rabbit skins, 2 cases kangaroo skins, 9 cases gum, 66 packages tobacco, 8 bundles skins, and 6 packages sundries and will be hauled from the railway pier Sandridge, then towed out to sea from Hobson’s Bay by the steamer ‘Warhawk’.
26th February 1872. Arrived in London.
20th April 1872. Sailed from London, Captain John Cumming, for Melbourne.
27th April 1872. Sailed from Plymouth.
18th May 1872. Crossed the equator.
29th June 1872. Passed Cape Leuwin.
15th July 1872. Arrived at Melbourne. The ship is in first-rate order, and all classes of passengers speak in the highest terms of the courtesy and attention of Capt. Cumming and his officers. Mr. Sewell, second officer met a serious accident during a squall, broke his arm.
26th September 1872. Towed from Hobson’s Bay by the steamer ‘Mystery’ with cabin passengers Mrs. Emery, Mrs. Cumming, Miss E. Cameron, Messrs. Henry Law, James Seymour, F. Walker Jones, M. P. Elliott, A. Mandeville, Adam Currar, E. R. Pilgrim, F. C. A. Goldfrap, P. Bruce M’Dougall, H. H. Johnston; and 53 in the second and third cabins.
14th December 1872. Arrived in London.
20th March 1873. Sailed from London, Captain John Cumming, for Melbourne.
27th March 1873. Sailed from Plymouth.
8th June 1873. Thomas Saunders, seaman, lost his footing while washing the poop, fell overboard.
12th June 1873. Arrived at Melbourne with a full cargo and passenger, plus 25 Leicester sheep.
18th June 1873. Three seamen put a complaint to the Shipping Master of the Port in Melbourne, that there was no attempt was made to save Thomas Saunders who fell overboard.
19th June 1873. No futher action was taken about the complaint.
11th July 1873. Sailed for London with a cargo of frozen meat.
20th October 1873. Arrived at London from Melbourne.
23rd December 1873. Sailed from London, Captain A. H. Parham, for Melbourne.
28th December 1873. Sailed from Plymouth.
24th January 1874. Crossed the Equator.
7th February 1874. William Owen, A.B. died from natural causes.
17th February 1874. Crossed the meridian of the Cape of Good Hope.
18th February 1874. The ship’s cook, Charles H. Curtis, died from phthisis.
21st March 1874. Arrived at Melbourne with a general cargo and passengers, plus, two fine foxhounds.
25th April 1874. Hauled off from the railway pier at Sandridge at 2p.m., but the tide did not serve, and it was night before she was towed out to the fairway. Passengers and their friends mustered in force on board during the afternoon, and good wishes were expressed on all hands for a speedy run home.
27th April 1874. Towed out to sea and sailed from Melbourne for London.
2nd November 1874. Sailed from London, Captain Albert Parham, for Melbourne.
11th November 1874. Sailed from Plymouth.
3rd December 1874. Crossed the equator.
23rd December 1874. Crossed the meridian of the Cape of Good Hope.
18th January 1875. Passed Cape Otway and the weather became thick and hazy in consequence of bush fires on the coast, as well as vapour from the water.
20th January 1875. Arrived at Melbourne from London. In consequence of the berths at the Sandridge railway pier being for the present fully occupied, she will have to remain at anchor in the bay for two or three days. Two incidents occurred during the voyage, one being the death of one of the crew from natural causes, and the other, the birth of a male infant.
28th January 1875. Captain A. H. Parham died suddenly of apoplexy. He was only thirty-five years of age, and was much liked and respected, not only by his brother shipmates but by those of the mercantile community, who were acquainted with him.
29th January 1875. Captain Albert Henry Parham’s funeral took place at 9 o’clock and his remains will be interred in the Melbourne General Cemetery.
2nd February 1875. Mr. Geo. Coleman Sladden, who was the chief officer, was made the Captain for the voyage to London. He is the grandson of Captain George Coleman.
11th February 1875. The flags of the ships at the Sandridge railway pier were flying at half-mast in consequence of the death of Mr. George Sutton, late chief steward. He was very courteous and obliging in his attention to passengers. It was said that he felt keenly the sudden death of his late commander, Captain Parham, and had scarcely been well ever since.
14th June 1875. Arrived in London from Melbourne.
18th October 1875. Sailed from London, Captain Jasper Pyne O'Callagan, for Melbourne.
19th October 1875. Sailed from Plymouth with 25 first and 30 second and third class passengers for Melbourne.
20th October 1875. Passed the Lizard.
4th November 1875. Passed Madeira.
16th November 1875. Crossed the equator.
10th December 1875. Crossed the meridian of the Cape of Good Hope.
7th January 1876. Arrived at Melbourne from London. A midshipman, named Jones, fell from the mizzen rigging, during the passage, and was killed.
2nd February 1876. Having finished loading and embarked passengers, was towed out from the Sandridge railway pier to the fairway and anchored.
3rd February 1876. Towed to sea and sailed from Melbourne for London.
12th July 1876. Sold to Geaoge Stanton, London. 96hp engines?
1877. Transferred to Miss Elizabeth S.Stanton, Lee, Kent.
1878. Sold to T.S.D.Shepherd, London.
1878. Sold to McStephens & Co. Manchester. Voyage, Bathurst, The Gambia & Marseilles, France, used as cargo (ground nuts) vessel.
12th July 1879. Stranded at Hartwell Reef, Boa Vista, Cape Verde Islands, G.Drevar (master) and crew of 19 saved.
14th August 1879. Reg cancelled. Vessel totally lost on reef off Barra Vista - Cape Verde Islands, as per advice from master.

Back to Home page | Back to the Money Wigram & Son's - Shipbuilders & Ship Owners Index
Copyright © Historic Shipping 2011.