Historic Shipping - facts, pictures, presentations on ships from yesteryear; Robert Wigram, Family and Associates - Shipbuilders and Ship Owners Money Wigram & Company - Shipbuilders and Ship Owners The Plymouth Emigration Depot Plymouth Hulks - the forgotten ships around Plymouth Sound, The General Screw Steam Shipping Co. Ltd. The African Steam Ship Company


Built by:Money Wigram & Son's, at Blackwall.
Yard No.
Launched:February 1859
Tonnage:923 86/94
Length:197 . 0 feet.
Breadth:33 2/10
Depth:21 . 0 feet.
Decks:Two with three masts.
Built of:Wood
Type:Carvel rig
Registered:17th Febtuary 1859 - London.
Off Number:27215
Built for:Money Wigram & Son's.
Other info:Crew 60 - Passengers 110
History:6th January 1860. Sailed from Plymouth for Melbourne. Captain Reynell.
5th February 1860. While becalmed in latitude 1 north, longitude 16.41 west, a report of a heavy gun was distinctly heard at night. No vessel was in sight at sundown.
6th February 1860. Early in the morning a large screw steamship, about 1200 tons, hove in sight, and passed close to the ship, within 200 yards. Her decks were crowded with African slaves. Shortly afterwards another steamer of about the same tonnage came up from the southward, with a private signal flying, which being answered, the latter lowered a boat and boarded the former. They remained in company about half an hour, when the former steered a course towards America, the latter for the coast of Africa. Both vessels were painted black, had no names on their stern, and showed French colours. Captain Reynell believes that large screw steamers are employed in the slave trade and evading being court by rendezvous so far to the westward.
7th April 1860. Arrived at Melbourne.
22nd May 1860. Due to sail from Melbourne for London. 26th August 1861. Arrived at Plymouth, Captain E. A. Reynell, from London.
16th March 1861. Sailed from Melbourne for London.
28th August 1861. Sailed from Plymouth, for Melbourne, after embarking a large number of passengers, who had availed themselves of the advantages of the Port of Plymouth as the final port of departure and shipped supplies.
26th November 1861. Arrived at Melbourne
30th May 1862. Sailed from Plymouth for Melbourne, Captain Reynell.
23rd August 1862. Arrived at Melbourne. During the voyage she encountered a cyclone and severe gales, during which she split several sails, had one of her lifeboats washed out of the davits, and carried away her foretopsailyard.
5th September 1862. At eight o’clock in the morning one of the ship’s apprentices was “mastheaded” by the chief officer, for some offence or other. Had the punishment been continued for a limited period of time there might have been little to complain of; but at one o’clock in the afternoon the boy was still clinging to the truck of the mizzen-royal mast, sitting across a stay, with his feet twisted round the royal backstays to support himself on his uneasy and dangerous seat. By this time considerable attention had been drawn to the unusual sight, and fears were freely expressed that the boy’s strength might give way under so severe a trial. About this time Captain Reynell returned from town, when his attention was drawn to the subject by one of the pier policemen, who had become alarmed for the boy’s safety, and in twenty minutes afterwards the lad was called down, after having been five hours and twenty minutes clinging to the mizzen-royal masthead.
24th October 1862. A number of swamp magpies, rails, quails, native water-hens, bronze-winged pigeons, and native wild ducks – twenty-three head in all – caught in the Botanic gardens, Melbourne, and intended for the Zoological Gardens, London, will leave in a few days time for England. Captain Reynell has kindly taken charge of the interesting consignment.
5th January 1863. Came upon the Greenock brig ‘Iceni’ burning at sea and took the crew onboard.
22nd January 1863. Arrived at London from Melbourne.
30th March 1863. Sailed from Plymouth with a large number of chief cabin as well as second and intermediate passengers. Captain E. A. Reynell.
24th April 1963. Crossed the Equator.
20th June 1863. Arrived at Melbourne from London.
1st August 1863. Sailed from Melbourne for London.
28th November 1863. Sailed from Plymouth for Melbourne.
27th December 1863. Crossed the Eq,br>uator. 21st February 1864. Arrived at Melbourne.
5th April 1864. Sailed from Melbourne for London.
24th June 1864. Passed Falmouth in the morning, all well, having on board 300 passengers, three of whom landed at the port.
26th June 1864. Arrived at London from Melbourne.
22nd August 1864. Sailed from Gravesend for Port Phillip.
29th August 1864. Sailed from Plymouth for Melbourne.
22nd September 1864. Crossed the Equator.
25th November 1864. Off the Cape Northumberland she encountered a severe southerly gale, during which the boatswain, Evan Williams, was washed overboard and lost.
13th December 1864. At the Williamstown Police Court, Captain Reynell was complained against by the water police for infringing the port regulations, by throwing a quantity of straw, the refuse of the cow-pens, into the bay. A witness was examined to prove that the offence had been committed contrary to the orders given out by the officers; and as the Bench appeared to be satisfied of this, the defendant was cautioned, and ordered to pay 20s. to the local benevolent fund, and 5s. costs.
22nd June 1865. Sailed from Gravesend for Melbourne.
26th June 1865. At Plymouth from London.
28th June 1865. Sailed from Plymouth for Melbourne.
10th November 1865. Entered outward at Melbourne for London with 1,458 bales wool, 6 bales sheepskins, 12 bales leather, 40 bags bones, 4,550 horns, 136 bags wattle-bark, 625 bags antimony ore, 3,500 bags copper ore, 1 case dried plants, 1 case specimens natural history, 8 trunks and packages, 3 cases drapery, 1 trunk boots and shoes, 1 case personal effects, 1 case pictures, and 15 boxes containing 15,054 oz. 1 dwt. gold, of which 2,632 oz. 16 dwt. 6gr. were transhipped from New Zealand.
20th March 1866. Due to sail for Melbourne, from London, Captain Frederick Anderson.
25th July 1866. Sailed from Melbourne.
23rd August 1866. Rounded Cape Horn, London bound.
22nd October 1866. Passed Penzance heading up Channel.
20th November 1866. Due to sail for Melbourne from London, Captain Frederick Anderson.
27th July 1867. Called into Plymouth, from London, for Melbourne, to pick up some passengers.
20th May 1868. Due to sail for Melbourne from London, Captain Frederick Anderson.
28th May 1868. Sailed from Plymouth for Melbourne.
23rd February 1869. Sailed for Melbourne from Gravesend, Captain Frederick Anderson.
26th February 1869. Passed an empty ship's boat and an oar at 2 p.m. and at 2.30 p.m. when 25 miles south of the Isle of Wight fell in with the barque 'Ross', of Guernsey, af about 350 tons, abandoned.
28th February 1869. Arrived at Plymouth to embark passengers for Melbourne.
15th June 1869. Sailed from Melbourne.
29th July 1869. Rounded Cape Horn.
27th August 1869. Crossed the line.
24th September 1869. Passed Dover making her way to London with 16,694oz. 12dwt. 16gr. gold, 3,000oz. silver, and a full cargo, including wool, bark, tallow, leather, preserved meats, sperm oil, antimony ore, black sand, copper ore, and sundries, with 118 passengers, 36 cabin and 32 ‘tween decks.
25th October 1869. Due to sail for Melbourne from London, Captain Frederick Anderson.
8th March 1870. Sailed from Melbourne for London.
8th April 1870. Rounded Cape Horn.
6th May 1870. Crossed the Equator.
3rd June 1870. Sailed passed Plymouth, from Melbourne for London. Her cargo consists of 755 bales wool, 500 cases and 43 casks preserved meats, 48 bales leather, 336 casks and 8 tanks tallow, 554 bags bark, 50 cases wine, 175 bags antimony ore, 286 blocks regulus antimony, 2,340 bags copper ore, 19 casks black sand, 10 quarter casks sherry, and sundries. She brings 64 cabin and 144 steerage passengers.
22nd June 1871. Left the East India Docks.
24th June 1871. Arrived at Plymouth.
26th June 1871. Sailed from Plymouth for Melbourne, Captaon Anderson.
29th June 1871. Passed the Lizard.
7th July 1871. Passed Madeira.
26th July 1871. Crossed the Equator.
2nd September 1871. Attended unusually high seas during which the deckhouse, the quarter boat, dead lights, and a portion of the bulwarks were stove in, and other damage sustained.
21st September 1871. Arrived at Melbourne. Tree births occurred during the voyage, but all three infants died.
20th September 1870. Due to sail for Melbourne from London, Captain Frederick Anderson.
25th September 1870. Arrived at Plymouth from London.
20th June 1871. Due to sail for Melbourne from London, Captain Frederick Anderson.
1st November 1871. Sailed from Melbourne for London.
20th March 1872. Due to sail for Melbourne from London, Captain Frederick Anderson.
2nd April 1872. Sailed from Plymouth for Melbourne.
14th July 1872. Sailed from Melbourne for London. Had to put back due to adverse winds.
19th July 1872. Sailed from Melbourne.
25th July 1872. Struck by a heavy gale, carrying away her rudder-stock.
27th July 1872. Called into Port Chalmers for repairs.
20th January 1873. Sailed from London, Captain Frederick Anderson, for Melbourne.
20th November 1873. Sailed from London, Captain G.Fairless Gibbs, for Melbourne, with Rev. Mr. and Mrs Burnett, Misses Leslie (2), Mr. Fitzgerald, Mr. Turner, Miss Baker, Mr. Worthington, Mr. and Mrs. Eddis, Misses Eddis (4) and Mr. Eddis, and Mr. Soane.
5th December 1873. Sailed from Plymouth. She was towed out to the Eddystone in a dead calm.
6th December 1873. Passed the Lizard.
1st January 1874. Crossed the Equator.
16th January 1874. Passed the island of Tristan d’Acunha.
23rd March 1874. Arrived at Melbourne with 40 saloon passengers, and 104 in the ‘tween deck, among the latter being 23 assisted immigrants. On the voyage out Mr. Vinall, a second cabin passenger, died from consumption, and about a week ago Mrs. Burnett, a saloon passenger, gave birth to a female infant.
1st April 1874. Hauled off from the railway pier.
2nd April 1874. Sailed from Melbourne for London.
28th August 1875. Sailed from London, Captain G.Fairless Gibbs, for Melbourne.
29th August 1875. Sailed from Plymouth with 13 first class and 31 second and third class passengers, for Melbourne.
26th May 1876. Sailed from Plymouth, Captain G. Fairless Gibbs, with 10 cabin and 31 second and third-class passengers, for Melbourne.
2nd May 1877. Sailed from Plymouth, Captain J.Pyne O'Callaghan, for Melbourne. She has 81 passengers on board.
4th June 1877. On route to Melbourne at lat 12.30S, long 31W.
31st January 1878. Arrived at Plymouth from London to embark passengers for Melbourne.
1st February 1878. Sailed from Plymouth, Captain J.Pyne O'Callaghan, for Melbourne. She was towed as far as the Eddystone by the 'Secret', steamtug.
4th November 1878. Sailed from Plymouth, Captain J.Pyne O'Callaghan, for Melbourne.
28th January 1879. Arrived at Melbourne.
1880. Sold to Norway.
17th September 1880. Reg closed.

Back to Home page | Back to the Money Wigram & Son's - Shipbuilders & Ship Owners Index
Copyright © Historic Shipping 2011.