Historic Shipping - facts, pictures, presentations on ships from yesteryear; Robert Wigram, Family and Associates - Shipbuilders and Ship Owners Money Wigram & Company - Shipbuilders and Ship Owners The Plymouth Emigration Depot Plymouth Hulks - the forgotten ships around Plymouth Sound, The General Screw Steam Shipping Co. Ltd. The African Steam Ship Company


Built by:Green, Wigram's & Green, at Blackwall.
Yard No.242
Launched:27th July 1839
Tonnage:852 10/94
Length:170 feet
Breadth:36 feet
Depth:10' 6"
Machinery:By Seaward & Co. Limehouse. 32 hp
Built of:Teak and oak.
Type:East Indiaman
Off. Number:
Built for:Henry Green
Other info:Launched by Mrs. Denny.
History:8th September 1839. Sailed from Gravesend for the Cape of Good Hope.
9th September 1839. Passed Dungeness.
11th September 1839. Arrived at Portsmouth.
14th September 1839. Had steam on all day, ready to sail, but could not venture out of Portsmouth Harbour due to strong winds.
15th September 1839. Sailed from Portsmouth with thirty-four passengers.
16th September 1839. While passing Dartmouth the piston rod broke.
21st September 1839. Sold by Henry Green to George Green for 10/-.
17th November 1839. Arrived at the Cape of Good Hope, while crossing the line the piston rod broke again so she had no steam available until repaired. Captain Denny found a blacksmith, a Dutch boor, who contrived to make a rough iron piston rod which answered extremely well.
22nd November 1839. Sailed from the Cape of Good Hope for Calcutta.
19th December 1839. Arrived at Calcutta.
2/3rd January 1840. Crossed the line.
19th January 1840. Steaming up at Kedgeree.
27th February 1840. Sailed from Bengal.
23rd April 1840. Sailed from the Cape of Good Hope.
6th May 1840. Sailed from St. Helena.
6th June 1840. Arrived off Portsmouth.
0th June 1840. Off Hastings.
10th September 1840. Due to sail from Gravesend, Commander G. Denny, for Portsmouth. Fitted with steam machinery to propel her in calms.
15th September 1840. Sailed from Portsmouth for Calcutta.
17th November 1840. Arrived at the Cape of Good Hope from London.
13th February 1841. Sailed from Bengal.
3rd April 1841. Sailed from the Cape.
13th April 1841. Sailed from St. Helena.
31st May 1841. Arrived at Brighton and landed nearly thirty passengers among them Colonal Weston, Miss Dicks, Mrs. Ingles, Col. Allves, Mr. Beresford, Mr. Gillmore, Capt. Hall, and Dr. Simpson.
1st June 1841. Arrived off Brighton.
5th July 1841. Sailed from the East India Docks.
12th August 1841. Sailed from Gravesend, Captain Grimlet, for Calcutta.
13th August 1841. A collision in the Channel, off Dungeness, with the Nowegian vessel ‘Olsen’, which sunk. No lives lost.
16th August 1841. Towed into Portsmouths Harbour, with the loss of jib boom, flying jib boom, and cutwater sustained by the collision and landed the crew of the ‘Alsen’, barque, and her own passengers.
26th August 1841. Having made good her defects, went out of Portsmouth Harbour and sailed for Madras and Calcutta.
22nd January 1842. The Admiralty Court hearing was of the opinion that the collision was caused by the ‘Vernon’ entirely, and that the pilot was the person exclusively in fault.
3rd February 1842. Sailed from Bengal for London.
1st April 1842. Sailed from the Cape of Good Hope.
23rd May 1842. Arrived off the Isle of Wight.
2nd June 1842. Sailed from the East India Docks.
25th August 1842. Sailed from Portsmouth for Madras.
30th November 1842. Arrived at Madras.
7th December 1842. Sailed from London for Calcutta. Captain J. Gimblett.
12th February 1843. Sailed from Bengal for London.
8th April 1843. Sailed from the Cape of Good Hope.
24th May 1843. Arrived off the Lizard.
29th May 1843. Entered the East India Docks from Calcutta.
5th June 1844. Arrived off the port of Portsmouth from Calcutta.
7th June 1844. Arrived at Gravesend from Calcutta.
20th August 1844. Due to sail from Gravesend, Commander J. Gimblett, for Calcutta.
22nd August 1844. Passed Deal for Calcutta.
25th August 1844. Arrived at Portsmouth from London.
26th August 1844. Sailed from Portsmouth for Madras and Calcutta.
21st February 1845. Sailed from Bengal.
22nd April 1845. Sailed from St. Helena for London.
8th June 1845. Arrived off Margate.
10th June 1845. Arrived in London.
7th July 1845. Entered outwards for Calcutta.
22nd August 1845. Came down the river and sailed for Calcutta.
30th November 1845. Arrived at Madras from London.
4th December 1845. Sailed from Madras for Calcutta.
6th February 1846. At Calcutta.
16th February 1846. Sailed from Saugor for London.
17th April 1846. Sailed from St. Helena.
6th June 1846. Arrived off Deal from Calcutta.
9th June 1846. Arrived at Gravesend.
16th July 1846. Entered outward from the East India Docks, Captain Voss, for Madras.
10th September 1846. Sailed from Gravesend, Captain E. Voss, for Madras & Calcutta.
11th September 1846. Sailed down the river and passed Deal for Madras.
15th September 1846. Sailed from Portsmouth.
24th February 1847. Sailed from Madras.
23rd April 1847. Sailed from the Cape of Good Hope.
7th May 1847. Sailed from St. Helena.
20th June 1847. Arrived in the Downs from Madras.
21st June 1847. Arrived at Gravesend.
23rd June 1847. Entered inwards at Custom House.
14th September 1847. Came down the river and passed Deal for the Cape and Madras.
21st September 1847. Arrived at Portsmouth from London.
24th September 1847. Sailed from Portsmouth.
5th February 1848. Arrived at Madras.
17th March 1848. Sailed from Madras.
5th July 1848. Arrived at Gravesend from Madras.
6th July 1848. Disembarked troops from India at Gravesend.
31st July 1848. Entered outwards from East India Docks, for Madras. Captain Voss.
20th June 1849. Passed Deal and arrived at Gravesend from Calcutta.
12th September 1849. Came down the river and sailed for Madras, passing Deal.
15th September 1849. Sailed from Portsmouth for Madras.
9th June 1850. Off Plymouth from Calcutta.
10th September 1850. Embarked troops for Madras, India at Gravesend and sailed.
11th September 1850. Passed Deal for Madras.
15th September 1850. Sailed from Portsmouth, Captain Voss, for Madras.
16th February 1851. Sailed from Madras for the Cape of Good Hope. Captain Voss.
9th June 1851. Arrived off Brighton from Madras.
10th June 1851. Arrived at London with invalids, under the charge of Captain Wells, 25th Foot, from Madras.
17th June 1851. Entered outwards for Madras.
10th September 1851. Cleared with cargo for Madras.
16th September 1852. Sailed down the river and passed Deal, for Geelong.
13th September 1853. Arrived at Spithead, from the river, to embark passengers and stores for Bombay. Captain Consitt.
30th December 1853. At Bombay.
27th July 1855. Arrived at Gravesend, Captain Consitt, from Kurrachee and St. Helena with upwards of 400 soldiers, as well as officers, woman and children.
19th August 1857. Due to sail from Gravesend to India, calling at Mauritius to land passengers only.
2nd September 1858. Troops belonging to the East India Company’s service have received orders to move from the Company’s depot at Warley and embark at Gravesend, Captain H. Consitt, with 150 recruits for Bombay.
22nd January 1859. Arrived at Bombay with recruits for her Majesty’s India army, numbering 146 men, 6 women, and 5 children, with 6 officers, under command of Captain Newall, of the Bengal Artillery, presented Captain Consitt with a very flattering letter, expressive of their satisfaction with the ship and the attentions they received on board.
16th March 1859. Sailed from Bombay for London.
5th September 1859. Sailed from London for Bombay.
1st March 1860. Sailed from Bombay, Captain Consitt, with 275 non-commissioned officers and men belonging to various regiments. The troops were under the command of Captain Kemp, 18th Foot, and in medical charge of Assistant-Surgeon Hyde.
5th May 1860. Arrived at St. Helena.
7th May 1860. Sailed from St. Helena.
19th June 1860. Arrived at Gravesend with a numerous party of wounded and disabled troops from Bombay. Thirteen deaths occurred on board during the passage, including one woman. After the troops had been medically inspected at Fort Pitt 15 of the number were admitted into hospital, and the remainder conveyed to the invalid establishment, St. Mary’s.
4th November 1862. Sailed from Plymouth, Captain Jones, belonging to Mr. R. Green, for Sydney.
28th November 1862. Crossed the Equator.
29th December 1862. Crossed the meridian of the Cape of Good Hope.
27th January 1863. Passed south of Tasmania.
5th February 1863. Arrived at Sydney with some valuable stock, consisting of five bulls and arrived in fine condition.
24th February 1863. In Sydney, Anthony Knollback was convicted of the offence of absence from duty without leave, fourteen days hard labour in gaol.
1st May 1863. Sailed from Sydney for London.
10th May 1863. Fell in with three large icebergs, and constantly passed drift ice and bergs. Large blocks of drift ice could be scarcely observed at night until within a ship’s length away.
6th June 1863. Rounded Cape Horn.
28th June 1863. Meet up with a privateer and boarded the ship.
5th July 1863. Crossed the Line.
2nd August 1863. Anchored at Angra in Terceira.
4th August 1863. Sailed from Terceira.
14th August 1863. Arrived at Plymouth and landed a few passengers, then sailed up Channel for London.
August/December 1863. Sold to Messrs. Powell & Co., London.
4th December 1863. Embarked passengers for Brisbane.
8th December 1863. Sailed from Southampton, Captain Goldsmid, for Brisbane, Queensland. On board 31 married couples, 153 single men, 80 single women, 31 boys, and 34 girls, under the care of Mr. James Sheridan Hughes, surgeon-superintendent.
9th December 1863. Anchored at Mother Bank, off Ryde, owning to contrary winds.
10th December 1863. Sarah E. Hare, 1 died of convulsions.
10th/12th December 1863. Lost a seaman overboard.
13th December 1863. Sailed for Brisbane.
23rd December 1863. Robert House, 22, died of disease of the heart.
25th December 1863. Mary Barton gave birth to a boy.
1st February 1864. Ellen M’Minimin, 8, died of fever.
2nd February 1864. Same sailors broke into the fore-hold and helped themselves to the spirits.
3rd February 1864. There was a mutiny amongst the crew.
9th February 1864. Called into Rio Janeiro and fifteen mutineers were brought before a naval court and imprisoned.
10th / 24th February 1864. Captain Goldsmid was removed by the British Consul as wholly unfit to hold the responsible position of master. Mr. Aldridge, chief officer, was made captain. A sailor fell overboard and drowned.
16th February 1864. Nancy Hull gave birth to a girl.
18th February 1864. Jane Cook gave birth to a girl. Harriet Rice, 1, died of tabes mesenterica.
25th February 1864. Sailed from Rio Janeiro. Thomas Ryan, 40, died of phthisis. Alice M. Sibley, 1, died of tabes mesenterica.
24th March 1864. Jessie Fisher gave birth to a girl.
25th March 1864. Some of the crew refused to obey orders.
26th March 1864. Mary Rooney gave birth to a girl.
28th March 1864. Crossed the meridian of the Cape of Good Hope where she encountered a gale which carried away the main topsail yard.
30th March 1864. Cargo broached by the crew.
10th April 1864. James Reilly cut a sail.
13th April 1864. Agnes Fisher, 8, died of convulsions.
4th May 1864. James Quail, infant, died of dentition.
6th May 1864. Crew members refused to go over the side of the ship.
10th May 1864. Off Cape Moreton.
14th May 1864. Arrived at Brisbane.
25th May 1864. Some of the crew in Court for disobedience.
12th August 1864. The case of the ship ‘Vernon’, seized in virtue of a “bottomry bond”, is still before the Vice-Admiralty Court.
24th September 1864. Mr. Arthur Martin sold, in virtue of a decree of the Vice-Admiralty Court of Queensland, the ‘Vernon’, with rigging and stores, for the sum of £3,545; the purchaser being Captain R. Towns of Sydney. He also sold to the same gentleman the cargo on board, consisting of 23,000 fire-bricks for £69, and 1,440 tons English coals for £91. Sixty-one barrels of whiting were also sold to Messrs. J. & G. Harris for £45 • 15s.
13th May 1867. To be used as an Industrial Training School for 264 boys. Moored at the entrance of Woolloomooloo Bay, near to Garden Island.
September 1871. Moved to Cockatoo Island. The object of this is to find additional modes of employment for the boys in the cultivation of garden ground on the island, and in the use of the forges connected with the Fitzroy Dry Dock.
1st March 1893. The old training ship ‘Vernon’ was disposed of by the Queensland Government. Tenders were recently invited for the purchase of the vessel, and when opened the highest offer was found to be for £150 from Mr. Stevenson, of Greenwich. The Minister for Public Instruction has approved and accepted this tender.
9th March 1893. Another tender, for the sum of £180, had turned up, and has been accepted by the Government. It transpires that this last tender turned up after the time for receiving tenders had closed. It had been inadvertently addressed to the wrong department. The successful tenderer was Mr. Wm. Rae, of Messrs. Rae and Burge.
11th March 1893. Commenced its last voyage as it left its moorings at Cockatoo and was towed to Kerosene Bay, to be broken-up. She moved slowly away, dismantled, dismasted, and utterly worn out. Three hearty cheers and “Auld Lang Syne” rung out. Commander Neitenstein lived on board for nearly 20 years, during which time close upon 3000 boys passed under his control. She was practically sold “for firewood.”
29th May 1893. The deck of the vessel ignited from a fire which was being used in the breaking up operations and she was soon enveloped in flames. The fire spread to another hull, the ‘Gordon South’, moored alongside, and owned by Messrs. Blackie & Shipperton.
30th May 1893. The fire was still smoldering, which has been burnt to the water’s edge, and is burning fiercely in the other hulk.

Back to Home page | Back to Green, Wigram's & Green - Ship Builders & Ship Owner Index
Copyright © Historic Shipping 2011.